After spending nearly two weeks in Nigeria we all left for six days, which was really needed. Although everyone in Lagos has been great to us it had been all work.
So I decided to head to Livingstone, Zambia which was on my list of places to visit. Livingstone is known for being the adrenaline capital of Africa. So of course my plan there was to experience some of the adventures and sites. Since my main reason for going down to Zambia was to raft the Zambezi River that was the first activity. I booked a full day which took me through 23 rapids most of which are class V. It was a bit different almost all the rapids they would have everyone just get low in the boat and hold on. Apparently this would cut down the chances of people falling out of the boat. But we ended up flipping the boat three times which was quite exciting. They company that I went with was very safe and they had a safety boat and lots of safety kayakers to catch any long swimmers. After meeting new people on the river we all decided to go out for dinner. So we all meet up a local restaurant. It ended up to being a bunch of locals from the raft company and a Canadian raft guide working on the Zambezi for four months and myself. It was great they were very generous and showed us the town.
On my second day I decided to go see Victoria Falls which I was so excited about but because it was dry season it was not what I expected. You could only imagine how grand it must be during the raining season. But this time of year it was only a few small falls. The hiking around the area was nice and I even ran into about 20 baboons which almost gave me a heart attach. After spending my morning around the falls I went on another adventure that consisted of a tight rope across the canyon, a swing into the canyon and an accent down the canyon. When I first got up to the site I was a little nervous but after the first run across the canyon on the tight rope everything was much more enjoyable.
On my third day I was hoping to go on a one day safari into Botswana but I had found out that night that no one else had signed up for the trip and there was a minimum occupancy so the trip was not going to happen. So rather then staying in town all day I decided to get one more day on the river. And it was worth it. This time I managed to stay up right most of the time and only had one swim.
Friday, December 21, 2007
Posted by Christy Coffman at 9:37 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Class V in the dry season! I'd love to see that river when the rains are on. Good job updating.
Post a Comment