Thursday, November 1, 2007

After a red-eye from Heathrow we arrived in Lagos, Nigeria. Wow talk about thick humidity. Immigration and customs were actually very smooth. And once we got through them we found our driver and guard and headed to our hotel.

I thought I had seen some pretty bad driving over in Asia but the lack of traffic regulations was absolutely crazy. There form of public transportation is just guys driving in vans and people pilling in or hang on to the outside of the van. And a stop would be anywhere on the highway. Driving from the airport, which with no traffic only takes about 30 minutes and it took us 2 ½ hours to get to Victoria Island where our hotel was. Cars on one side of the highway seemed to mostly be parallel with each other with the exception of a few that were perpendicular.

While driving it felt like the whole city lived in extreme poor conditions. There were pigs, goats, horses, chicken’s and dogs running loose on piles of trash surrounded by makeshift homes and dilapidating buildings which appeared to be mostly built on swamp land. We even passed a little area that seemed to be built all on stilts but the feel was not very Venetian.

On Sunday I had an opportunity to go to a Christian church and as many of you know that I’m not too big on church but I was invited by one of the gals that work at CityScape. It was a great experience, church was fun there was a lot of singing and dancing and because I was there on the churches anniversary there were different performances put on by the different Sunday school groups. Because if the difficulty getting around we have been mainly tied up in hotels and at work. But as time go on I think we will have an opportunity to see more of Nigeria.

Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Megan B said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I think John and I need to visit!